Thursday, December 30, 2010

Super easy Thai style rice noodles

My mother made this when I was growing up. It has been one of those dishes that I just throw together for a quick lunch and never really give much thought. This is my "peanut butter and jelly sandwich" kind of meal. As easy as it is, I am really surprised more people don't make this. I have been able to find these particular rice noodles at most grocery stores for about $1 a pack. There are three servings in each pack. You can't get a much better deal than that!
I don't buy soy sauce that is marketed as GF. I have found that many Lite soy sauces are already GF. I usually buy Lite La Choy soy sauce, but always check the ingredients. Remember that companies are not required to change anything about the label if they change the ingredients!
The recipe here is vegetarian, but I have added tofu, shrimp and chicken to it in the past. That is really good too! I have never actually measured my ingredients, so adjust as needed for your own liking.

Makes 1 serving
Prep time: 2 minutes
Cook time: 7 minutes
Cost: roughly $0.50 per serving


1/3 a package of Maifun rice stick noodles
15 to 20 shakes of soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoon peanut butter (I use all natural, which is why I add brown sugar. If you have regular PB, you might want to reduce the sugar)
1/8 teaspoon of ground ginger
dash of cayenne pepper
cut up green onion (optional)

In a microwave safe dish, cover the rice sticks with just enough water to cover them. Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Allow to sit for 2 minutes before draining the water.
After draining, add soy sauce, sugar, PB, ginger and pepper. Mix well. If it is hard to mix or has chunks of PB that aren't spreading around, add a little more soy sauce and microwave for 15 seconds. Top with green onion.

No comments:

Post a Comment