Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Chicken with bell peppers and rice, or "Yummy" Chicken

In search for a quick and easy dinner, I threw this together one night after having something similar at my sister's house. Bell peppers have been my favorite food since I was child, so I knew I would like it. Chicken with bell peppers and rice became an instant hit. My husband is not much of bell pepper fan, but he loves this dish. It is very easy to modify as well. For instance, I add BBQ sauce on top before I eat it just about every time. A splash of soy sauce (La Choy Lite is GF!) gives this an Asian flare. Add a touch of salsa for some yummy Tex Mex. But, it is wonderful plain like this, too!
I made this for a dear friend of mine who dubbed it "Yummy Chicken." She has dinner with us often; yummy chicken has become a staple in our meals together.
No ever thought something so simple could become a family favorite.

Makes about 6 servings

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Cost: about $6 or $1 a serving


3 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
3 bell peppers (I like to use 1 yellow, 1 orange and 1 red), roughly cut
1 medium onion, roughly cut
3 cloves of garlic, minced
Tony's or salt and pepper
Rice

Over medium heat, brown the chicken. Add peppers, onion and garlic. Cook for about 20 minutes, or until peppers are cooked through and chicken is no longer pink. Serve over rice.

2 comments:

  1. We call this 'chicken & peppers' and cook it in packets on the grill! Makes for a easy, yummy, mess free dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try this on the grill some time soon! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete