Sunday, January 9, 2011

Jamaican jerk pork chops and savory sweet potatoes

Jamaican Jerk Pork Chops
Growing up, I didn't eat pork very often. It was more expensive than other meats, and we didn't have extra money to spare. Therefore, I am pretty inexperienced when it comes to the world of pork. For a very long time, I didn't dig on swine, mostly because I didn't know it could taste not greasy and not over salted. However, I have been practicing with this simple and quite tasty Jamaican jerk rub. I first purchased the rub a while ago when the grocery store was handing out samples. The woman had both pork and chicken, and this rub was awesome on both! I bought it, even though it was pretty expensive. However, the rub is so super easy to make! I am actually almost ashamed I ever bought the rub rather than just making it. But, you live, you learn.
I like to serve this with savory sweet potatoes. The flavors mix wonderfully.

Serves 4
Prep time: 30 minutes (including marinading)
Cook time: 15 minutes
Cost: about $3.50 or $0.88 per serving

4 pork chops
salt to taste
olive oil
Jamaican jerk rub:
The ratio is 4:2:1, so adjust the amount as you need to. You don't need very much to spice up your dinner.
1/2 teaspoon each of sugar, garlic, allspice and pepper
1/4 teaspoon each of nutmeg, cinnamon, thyme and onion powder
1/8 teaspoon (or less if you want a milder rub) red pepper

Notice, there is no salt in this. Adding salt to meat while it marinates with a rub can pull moisture out. I always wait until right before I cook it to add any salt to the pork chop.

Coat each side of the pork chops with the spices and rub the mixture into the pork chops well. Allow the rub to sit on the meat for about 30 minutes. Do not refrigerate. Meat cooks at its best when it is room temp. 
Over medium heat, coat the bottom of a large pan with olive oil. Cook the pork chops for 6 to 7 minutes on eat side. Do not turn them until the pork chop comes up from the pan without sticking. You want the sugar in the rub to caramelize. Allow the pork chops to sit for about 5 minutes before eating.


(In this picture, there is only 1/2 a pork chop because it was just too big for just me to eat.)

Savory Sweet Potatoes
This is, by far, my favorite way to eat sweet potatoes, especially in the winter time. Around the holidays, the price of sweet potatoes drops to just about nothing. At the grocery store, I was excited to find them for only $0.22/lb! However, when I went back for more, they were back up to $0.94/lb. Oh well. You snooze you lose. I did recently get them again for a relatively low price of $0.45/lb. This time, I bought more. I am estimating the cost here at $0.60/lb.

Makes 4 to 6 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Cost: $1.25 or about $0.21 to $0.32 per serving

4 medium sweet potatoes, diced with skin on.
6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 sprigs of rosemary, removed from the stem
salt and pepper to taste


Preheat the oven to 350. In a large casserole dish, coat the potatoes with oil. Add garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper and mix well. Cover and cook for 1 hour. 



No comments:

Post a Comment