Saturday, December 18, 2010

Yummy cheesy spicy grits.

Breakfast is an often ignored time of the day. People seem to just skip over the breakfast recipes. However, for someone with a gluten issue, breakfast is one of the best times of the day! There are just so many options: eggs of all sorts, bacon, sausage, fresh fruit, Chex cereals, hash browns, home fries, and my personal favorite - grits. I  used to not enjoy grits, and it wasn't until I was forced to give up my cream of wheat that I gave them another try. I still do not enjoy them plain; I have to always add at least butter or cheese. I eat these grits at least twice a week.
Now, Sriracha sauce is God's gift to those who love spicy food. It has an awesome flavor. I used to be a Tabasco girl, and don't get me wrong, Tabasco has a place in my heart. But, it adds a vinegary taste sometimes. Sriracha is made with garlic paste instead and isn't over powering. Since it seems to be increasing in popularity, I luckily have been to find it each time I have needed it, even here in Alabama.

Prep time: 3 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Cost: to buy everything outright, about $6.00, but per serving it is just pennies. 


1 cup of water
3 tablespoons instant grits
cheese of your liking
1 egg
ranch dressing
Tony's (or salt and pepper)
Sriracha sauce

Place water and grits in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for three minutes. Be sure your bowl is big enough since grits will overflow.
While the grits are in the microwave, scramble the egg and slice the cheese if you need to.
Add egg, cheese, a little ranch dressing, Tony's and Sriracha sauce.

It is SO good. I swear.

2 comments:

  1. So where do you get this yummy sauce? I'm ready for breakfast NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can get it at just about any grocery section, usually near other Asian foods. In Montgomery, I know for sure it is at the Winn-Dixie on Eastern and also the Seoul Market.

    ReplyDelete