Thursday, January 10, 2013

Welcome back! Maybe?

After only 20 previous posts, I had to stop writing this blog. I was overwhelmed with a new baby and often times simply forgot to take pictures or even write down what I did when I cooked. I know people can live without photos, but just saying "add this spice until it seems like enough" or "cook it until it is finished cooking" doesn't really fly with people trying a new recipe. So, I walked away from it.

After I stopped writing here, several people asked me more GF recipes. I typed some out plus some ideas. I even sent people who didn't know I had this blog here to get some ideas. I even found myself coming back here to see just how much I used of a spice when I wanted to recreate a dish and couldn't remember what I did before.

But, the big reason I will resume this blog is for people that are new to a GF diet. I see people in the grocery every now and again piling their carts with a ton of overpriced, gluten free goodies. These same people generally have a bewildered look about them and are just waiting for someone else to pick up a gluten free item as a way to break the ice and begin asking questions. This week alone, this happened twice -once while I was getting gluten free bread this past weekend and again today when I was just looking at the items to see if I felt like making myself a tasty baked treat this week.

I mentioned how sad it is to feel that overwhelmed to my husband. "Um, Kari, isn't that why you had that blog? To help people find easy and inexpensive ways to eat gluten free?"  And, he is right.

There is so much more to eating gluten free that just finding something that has that little "GF" in the circle on it. I know that once I understood that going GF really only meant going convenience food free, my world got easier. Those with specialty diets shouldn't look at the grocery store as a place that is filled with things that are off limits. Rather, try thinking about all the wonderful whole foods that are always okay to enjoy.

So, for those that follow and even those that are just dropping by every now and again, start looking for some more recipes to pop up as well as some advice for going GF and ways to transition easier.

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment